Monday, January 11, 2010

She said "YES"

On November 24, 2009 my sister became engaged and I accepted the position of her Maid of Honor, wedding planner and cake baker (amongst other things). As an avid baker, I was thrilled to take on the challenge. This is not just a cake though, it is my sisters wedding cake and it needs to be the best cake I have ever made.

So, with the start of 2010 comes the start of my first blog. We have begun the countdown to the wedding (207 days to go) and that means we have 205 days until I need to be prepared to bake the best cake of my "career".

Practice truly does make perfect - so each week, for the next 30 weeks, I will be trying something new. My fondant skills need smoothing, buttercream recipes need tweaking, filling flavors require tasting and cake batter needs blending.

So welcome to my batter babble. I hope you will enjoy my posts and please give me feedback, let me know what looks good or sounds good!

7 comments:

  1. It's to bad I won't be in Chicago much longer to let you know what tastes good but I'm sure you will have some very happy new co-workers! And great idea for both a blog and for yourself! Once I get settled I'm hoping to have a little time to write a thing or two on a topic yet to be determined! Good luck with the baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bake on, Katja. Awesome blog topic and I love the 30 weeks or bust. Very cool stuff. Wish I was in Chi-town for the following 2010 Sugar Rush, but like Seth said, I have a feeling you will find a special route into your new co-workers hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love this idea!! Way to go, Lara is going to have the best wedding cake EVER! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am excited to read this one!! I dotn think I would be able to take on the task of making my sisters wedding cake! I am impressed. My suggestion is to get a orange Kitchen Aid mixer. They are awesome to bake with and the fact that mine is orange makes everything taste even better! Plus I know you also love the color orange!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seth and Danny I would be happy to share my test cakes with you - but as you have stated, my co-workers will benefit from the side effects blog the most. And they don't even know it yet.

    Homer - we can follow each other's blogs !!

    Anne, I can not think of a better addition to my kitchen. Maybe now is the time to splurge on a Kitchen Aid mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! And incentive enough to move back to Chicago! You should hold tastings with different panels of people--friends, bakers, baker bloggers, foodies, brides-to-be and sugar addicts. Could be a great way to garner tons of feedback, ideas, and, of course, more fans :)
    Blog, then cake, then book, then Food Network (don't forget the videos!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katja this is a great idea! I look forward to "borrowing" whatever great ideas you come up with to test out in my own kitchen!

    ReplyDelete