Monday, January 25, 2010

Altitude Alterations

This week I travel to Denver, Colorado to visit my sister. Instead of baking a cake prior to leaving and then another while with her. We decided it would be better if I baked two while I was in Denver because: 1) it is probably best if the bride and groom taste as many cakes as possible and 2) the altitude will require some alterations in the ingredients/baking time, so the more experience I can gain on the home turf the better.

In preparation for this two cake weekend, I decided it was best to do my research on the challenges that we will face with the altitude.

According to epicurious.com when you reach 2,500 to 3,000 feet above sea level, altitude starts to affect baking, in three significant ways:
  • The higher the elevation, the lower the boiling point of water. My main concern here is that dense batter and dough will take longer to completely bake in the center.
  • The higher the elevation, the faster moisture evaporates. Epicurious lists a few things here that I will have to adjust for: The ratio of liquid to solid changes, potentially weakening the overall structure of whatever you're baking. Flavors tend to be less pronounced and baked goods dry out and go stale at an accelerated rate. This last point will take some planning, as we will make the cakes a day or two in advance.
  • The higher the elevation, the faster leavening gases expand. Meaning my cakes may rise too far too fast and as a result it will sink in the center or collapse when cooling.
To my luck I was able to find some great troubleshooting tips online:
  • Strengthen your batter by reducing sugar (take out 2T for each cup), or adding eggs, egg yolks, or slightly more flour or increase liquid (2-4T for each cup).
  • Increase the oven 15 - 25°F and decrease the baking time by up to 20%.
  • Fill cake pans only half full, not the usual two-thirds, as high-altitude cakes may overflow.
  • Solid shortening gives better results at this altitude because it holds more liquid.
This will be my only cake practice in the high altitude so it is most important that I take good notes about any minor adjustments, so I will remember to make them in August. If you have experience baking in high altitude, any and all tips are more than welcome!

1 comment:

  1. As a high-altitude baker myself, I have found that by adding extra flour to cookies, they don't spread as much. As far as cakes go, I would try some without any changes. I was shocked when my cakes rose as much as they did AND didn't shrink as they cooled. Good luck! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete