Monday, February 15, 2010

Cake 5: S'mores Cake


This week I took on a request from a co-worker for a S'mores cake. Instead of searching for recipes, I decided to make this one up as I went along. For the cake, I made a simple butter cake and mixed in graham cracker crumbs.

When the cake cooled, I sliced each cake so that I would have six total layers (two per cake). In between each layer of graham cracker butter cake I alternated marshmallow fluff and chocolate frosting. The cake started as a five layer cake, as six seemed to be just too much.

For the exterior frosting I wanted to do a marshmallow frosting. In retrospect this was not a great decision. The frosting I made was tasty and fluffy, but it was not stiff enough to stay on the side of the cake. As a result it kept falling off the cake and pooling at the bottom. After a few times in and out of the fridge and still no good looking cake, I decided to remove the fifth layer.

The shorter cake made it easier to manage the frosting, but it was not keeping the frosting on the cake. So my final solution was to push graham crackers on to the side of the cake to hold the frosting in place. To finish the cake I placed marshmallow's on the top and used a torch to brown them slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment